Wednesday, April 30, 2008

update from this morning

1) it was coffee, but the coffee was so incredibly awful that I poured it out. Then Josh made me tea. Then I drank water, then diet pepsi, then instant green iced tea, and I think I'll have some more tea in a minute. My feet are cold.

2) it's been touch and go for a while with the paper, but we're limping along. I always wax so melodramatic during this painful birthing stage.

3) i'm sitting on the floor because it's different from the other places I feel like I've been sitting endlessly for the past few days (or semester?).

4) i'm going to write a post about being a woman soon. It will have real content, and it will require responses.

1 comment:

  1. “So this academic is assigned to write a 25-page paper on the novel, and I'm thinking that Toni Morrison (as a representative of contemporary literature) does theory--she plays with all sorts of "-isms"--but she does it in narrative form, which allows so much more complexity and nuance and relationship between issues. And I'm kind of wondering if creative writers have made this whole literary criticism/theory thing obsolete, because they've taken it upon themselves to enact and thematize (really elegantly) all these ideas scholars clumsily write endless difficult papers on.”

    Not sure I grok what you are getting at here.

    1. Why is it necessary to include (as a representative of contemporary literature)?

    2. “but she does it in narrative form, which allows so much more complexity and nuance and relationship between issues.” More complexity and nuance and relationship between issues than what?

    3. “I'm kind of wondering” You either wonder or you don’t.

    4. “creative writers” Aren’t all writers creative?

    5. “I'm kind of wondering if creative writers have made this whole literary criticism/theory thing obsolete, because they've taken it upon themselves to enact and thematize (really elegantly) all these ideas scholars clumsily write endless difficult papers on.” You might understand what this means but to most at best your theory is unclear. My interpretation is that you are saying that writers address anticipated criticism in the crafting of their work and hence any attempt to independently relate to the work is redundant because it has already been done.

    Wow! Just think what fun 25 pages like the above would be like.

    Snapping out,

    d

    ReplyDelete