Friday, April 12, 2013

five-sense Friday

Friends! I have not forgotten you! I am just swimming through stacks of grading like Scrooge McDuck through his piles of money, and it's hard to pull myself out of the pool. Also, a baby is swimming around inside of me, and while I am feeling so much better than I was a month ago (and eating so much better, too), I still often find myself falling asleep at 7:00 p.m.

But here we are, on a Friday afternoon, and I am taking a break from the purple pen to return to the good old exercise of paying attention. I'd love for you to play along in the comments.

feeling: the cold seeping through the large front window above my head, all stubborn and assertive and grey-toned (April! where is the pretty?); a wool neck-warmer warming my neck, over three layers of shirts; the strangest, faintest, most mysterious flutters in my belly

tasting: apples (thank goodness); hibiscus tea (which I'm apparently not supposed to drink); granola with walnuts, sesame seeds, honey, applesauce, and cinnamon--the best breakfast ever

smelling: snow; ginger steam from my mug; citrusy lotion; snow

hearing: French pop on the radio, which always amuses me; I sometimes break out laughing when I hear French rap, too; it's a nice bright spot in all the grading

seeing: snow; my students' brilliant insights into literature; the spines of about two dozen books all calling out for me to read them at the same time; visions of spring in the Midwest; notes from friends that make me smile; snow

No comments:

Post a Comment