Saturday, March 17, 2012

Five-Sense...Saturday

It's not often that I'm too sick to post a five-sense Friday update, but yesterday was a strange exception. After four whole days at home with a wretched cold, I headed out yesterday morning for coffee with a friend. By the time I arrived home I was shaky and pitiful. I even had a fever over 101. I don't think that's happened since I was living in my parents' house.

But our bodies are resilient things. I'm still feeling pretty sick, but today at least the fever is gone. Here's what I've been...

smelling: nothing. My nose is stuffed up.

tasting: not too much, but I'm all about the salty things right now: chicken broth, popcorn, pretzels. Also, grapefruit, so sweet-tart-cool on my tongue it's like a special grace.

hearing: NPR, Josh's extraordinarily eclectic music mixes, birdsong

feeling: chills, and pains, and the urge to sneeze, and my own cracked lips and chapped nose, and so thankful for soft socks, blankets, pillows, tea, seltzer water, breezes

seeing: on my walk yesterday, small children riding small bikes down the sidewalk; the house down the street that has an array of brightly colored old bowling balls randomly spaced around the base of an ornamental tree, and another house with a Christmas wreath including two neon green skis; a robin, heir and promise of spring

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're feeling a little bit better. It's funny how our bodies tend to get sick just when a time to rest arrives. That always happened to me when I was teaching. You let your guard down and apparently the immune system goes on vacation too.

    Lean into the rest, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete